Home > Get Help > Tutorials > Database Guides > Emerald
Emerald is a collection of articles from business and management journals, and covers all major management disciplines including marketing, human resources management, library and information management, operations management and more.
- Mouseover the articles, books, & more tab at the top of the Twin Cities Library website, and select Databases. Choose Emerald from the list.
- Off-campus users: You will be prompted to enter your Saint Mary's University username and password after you select a database.
When you first enter Emerald you will see the Quick Search page. I suggest you click the link Advanced Search (see left side, below) before beginning your research. Below is the advanced search screen.
Saving, Printing and Emailing Your Article Results
Emerald shows you the top five hits per information type (journals, books, etc.) on the main search results page. Click View all - results to access, save, or email the entire results list of articles. Access the full text of articles by clicking View PDF. If you retrieved too many results, you can search within your results (by adding additional keywords or limiting by year) by clicking Search in Results.
What if my article is not available in full text?
You might retrieve article results that are not available through Saint Mary's subscription to Emerald. If you don't see a View HTML or View PDF link, then Saint Mary's does not have access to that article through Emerald.
However - we may have access through another database! Check Journals A-Z for the full text of the article. If no Saint Mary's databases carry the full text of the article, please fill out an Interlibrary Loan request form with information about the specific article. TC Library will email you the full text electronically within 2-3 days. See Finding an Article from Citations to learn more.
Visit Emerald's Brief Guides for additional searching suggestions.
Permanently Save and Access Article and Search Results
In order to access your articles or past searches later, you need to create a free account with Emerald.
1. Login (and/or create your account)
2. Click on Marked List in the left hand menu and Add a New List. Choose a name that will reflect your search so it's easily recognized later.
3. After you have performed a search and netted relevant results, click View all - results. You will now see boxes next to the articles; select the boxes next to articles you would like to save.
4. Find the dropdown box that says Session. Add the articles to the list you created. Articles that are saved to Session will be deleted when you close your browser.
5. You can also email yourself the full text and citations of the articles included on your lists.
6. You can also email yourself the citations of the articles included on your lists. Select the list you want to email, and then click Export options. Enter your email address. Please note that the citations are not formatted in APA style.
7. To access your saved articles later, click on the Your Profile link after you sign into Emerald. You will see links for your Marked Lists and Search Alerts (below).
8. To save your actual searches, click Add Saved Search Alert when on the article results page. Much like saving individual articles, you will be prompted to save the search. Not only can you re-conduct the search the next time you sign into your Emerald account, but Emerald will periodically email you with relevant, newly published articles. You can delete your saved searches anytime.