Borrowing from other libraries
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a free service that enables users to borrow books, other media, and journal articles from other libraries
All St. Mary's University faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students holding a valid SMU identification card. This service is not available to holders of guest cards.
- From a blank form: Use the ILL Request Form to order a journal, order a book. You will be asked to log in to MnPALS to bring up the form. Use your St. Mary's user name and password to log in. Fill in as much information as you can (author, title, edition, date, etc.). All starred boxes must be filled in before the request can be submitted. Be sure to check the copyright restrictions box.
- From library databases: Follow the links near the article citation to get full text. You will be asked to log in to MnPALS to get a request form. Use your St. Mary's user named and password. An ILL request form will be created; all you need to do is check the copyright restriction box and then "Submit."
- From MnPALS "All Libraries": MnPALS "All Libraries" searches the catalogs of many Minnesota colleges and universities. To order click on "Login" under the "Request Item" menu at the bottom of the book record. Use your St. Mary's user name and password to log in. "Login" now turns into "Request." Click on "Request" and then "Submit."
- From WorldCAT: WorldCAT searches libraries worldwide. Click on "Find it at SMU" to order books that are not in our library. You will need to log in with your St. Mary's user name and password to get to the request form. The form will be all filled out, just hit "Submit."
You may request an ILL if the Fitzgerald Library does not own the item you need. Books, copies of articles in journals or magazines, government documents, conference proceedings typically are available. Movies and dissertations may be requested, but some limitations may apply. Materials generally not available through ILL:
- Entire issues of magazines or journals
- Reference books
- Rare books or original manuscripts
- Entertainment movies, popular music, and fiction titles that are in constant demand
Most books arrive within a week depending on the location of the lending library. Journal articles may arrive within a few days.
You will receive a notification by e-mail. Books will be held for you at the Circulation Desk. You will need to present your St. Mary's ID card to check them out. Journal articles will be e-mailed to you directly. If the article comes from Minitex, you will have access to it for 7 days, after which time the access password will expire.
Lending libraries determine due dates for the materials they lend. Most loan periods are about 3 weeks. Due dates are indicated on the bookmark that will accompany your request and online in the MnPALS catalog in "My Account."
Log on to the MnPALS catalog and click on "My Account" and then "ILL Requests." Click on the number next to the item you wish to renew and then click renew. Check back in a few days to see if your request has been okayed. A new due date should appear. Renewal decisions are made by the lending library. While many libraries grant renewals, some may not.
Log on to the MnPALS catalog and click on "My Account" and then "ILL Requests."
Fitzgerald Library provides limited ILL services to SMU students who are enrolled as distance graduate students. Journal articles will be e-mailed directly to the student. Books will be ordered for distance students only if they live close enough to pick up and return the books at the Fitzgerald Library. Other distance students are asked to use the interlibrary loan services of their local libraries to obtain books.
Interlibrary Loan Librarian
Interlibrary Loan Librarian
firstname.lastname@example.org | (507) 457 1564
Back to Top