Services for students
Fitzgerald Library has four rooms (McEnery 237-240) available for students to reserve for group study. Rooms can be reserved:
- up to 2 weeks in advance
- for a maximum 2 hour reservation time
- for a maximum of 2 reservations per account; cannot be consecutive times
- for academic purposes only
Go to our Reserve Group Study Rooms page to see what rooms and time slots are available. Pick a date, a time, and then click on the "Book it" link to reserve the space.
When you book a slot you will be asked to log in. Your user name is the 14 digit number at the bottom of your student ID card (2350000 ...) and your password is your last name.
You can access your current room bookings or delete bookings here.
See the About computers, printers, & scanners page for how rooms are equipped
There are 6 group study rooms in the Fitzgerald Library that operate on a first come first served basis:
- Upper level rooms #203 & #204
- Main level rooms #117 & #119
- Lower level rooms #11 & #13
Your professors may put materials (books, movies, articles) that you need to access on a reserve shelf in the library behind the Circulation Desk.
You can check online to see the reserves for your classes from the Fitz Library Catalog page (Course Reserves tab).
To check on reserves in the library go to the Circulation Desk and ask for the Reserves Binder.
You will need your SMU ID card to check out materials.
Most items have to be used in the library and are due back in 2 hours.
Librarians can provide assistance at every stage of your research process. Get help finding books, searching databases, selecting key words, citing your sources, or anything else that can help you complete your research assignments successfully.
Find us at the Research Assistance Desk or online. Use the blue side bar "Ask a Question" tab to chat, text, or email a librarian.
Make an appointment for a research consultation with a subject specialist or library liaison
Go to the Ask a Librarian page for all your contact options.
- Gremelsbach Lab Main Floor--12 PCs, 2 printers, 4 scanners
- Reference Room Main Floor--13 PCs, 1 printer, 1 iPad catalog station
- Lab 33 Lower Level--30 PCs, 1 presenter station (PC, Elmo, projector), 1 printer
- McEnery "Pit" Lower Level--4 Macs, 1 printer, 1 scanner
- Quiet Study Area Lower Level--3 PCs, 1 iPad catalog station
- McEnery Upper Level--2 PCs, 1 printer
- McEnery Upper level Study Rooms--Collaborative work stations in each room for group presentations, includes Apple TV
- Fitzgerald Library Upper Level--3 PCs, 1 1 iPad catalog station
Wireless access is available throughout the Library and the McEnery Center
Printing is free
Available at the Circulation Desk. ID card needed.
- Markers for whiteboards
- Head phones
- Adapter cables
- CD player
- Rulers, glue sticks, markers, etc.
Along with a collection of books, DVDs, online resources, and computers, the Library provides quiet places to study (in the Lower Level or study carrels), group study rooms, general study and collaborative spaces, and some comfortable arm chair seating.
Students may bring food and drinks into the library. There is a microwave available in the lower level near the vending machines.
Start Your Research with CREDO:
Online reference source with links to subscription databases